What are the steps to take on the way to Retirement?
Approximately 1 year before retiring:
- You should request an estimate of your retirement allowance from The Weymouth Retirement Board’s office staff or run an estimate using the self-service portal.
- Become familiar with the three different retirement options and ask any questions you may have.
- Review your service history to verify all if your past service.
6 Months prior:
- Finish any prior service purchases
- Contact HR to determine what insurance (health, life, dental and/or other) you are eligible for. Learn about spousal and family coverage and how Medicare interacts with your Town coverage.
- Familiarize yourself with post-retirement limitations on MA public employment, Social Security, and cost of living adjustments.
30 – 45 days prior to Retiring:
- Call the Retirement Office and make an appointment to come in (with your spouse, if you have one) to fill out the Retirement paperwork.
- Gather additional documents that may be needed, such as birth certificates and a marriage certificate.
- Meet with a staff member, discuss the options, and sign the papers.